San Francisco health authorities recently declared that a 50-year-old woman died in the hospital after consuming an herbal blend purchased from a China Town shop. The lab tests have revealed that the blend was laced with aconite, a potent plant-based toxin, which can lead to the death of the patient in just a couple of hours. Sadly, there is no medicine to counteract the damaging effects of aconite poisoning. The woman’s son filed a lawsuit against the owner of Sun Wing Wo Trading Company, the store from where the woman purchased the lethal herbal mix.
Jin Deng, the 50-year-old woman’s son who consumed the poisoning drink, declared that he intends to sue Yui-Wan Chan, the owner of the Sun Wing Wo Trading Company. Deng said that his mother purchased the herbal mix from Chan’s China Town shop, acting on the recommendation of a Chinese herbalist.
The man told the reporters that one or two hours after drinking the herbal tea, the woman started feeling very ill, exhibiting symptoms such as paralysis, abdominal pains, vomiting, and fast heartbeat. According to the health authorities, the woman had to resuscitate on the way to the hospital due to her declining condition.
Over a month passed since the woman ingested the herbal mix, and the doctors were nowhere near finding an answer. Deng told the press that the doctors informed him that there was nothing they could do to save his mother. With the approval of his family, Deng told the doctors to stop all treatments and to allow his mother to pass away in peace.
During their struggle to save the woman’s life, the health specialists discovered a most unusual compound in one of the woman’s urine samples – aconite. Doctor Tomas Aragon, San Francisco’s Health Officer, declared that the presence of aconite in the woman’s blood stream has only one explanation – the herbs brought from China were insufficiently processed.
As Aragon declared, aconite is commonly used in Traditional Chinese Medicine to treat inflammations and various pains. However, if the compound isn’t thoroughly processed, it can be lethal. To prevent any more outbreaks of aconite poisoning, the San Francisco health authorities have ordered the shop’s owner to remove all herbal mixes from the shelves and informed the public that it would be for the best to throw away the tea and to seek medical assistance if they start feeling ill after consuming the mixture.
Image source: Geograph