A choking hazard identified after several complaints issued by customers has prompted a major SpaghettiOs recall, involving approximately 355,000 products.
The announcement was made on Thursday, November 12, by representatives of Campbell Soup Company, the manufacturer of this brand of canned pasta mixed with cheese and tomato sauce.
Apparently, the reason why the voluntary recall was issued is linked to the fact that small pieces of red plastic were identified by consumers who had bought these food items.
The individuals who made this unfortunate discovery contacted customer service, in order to report the issue, and that is how company officials were eventually informed.
After investigating the situation, it was determined that a manufacturing flaw is to blame. Fragments of plastic material actually originated from the can lining, which isn’t stable enough and has the tendency to peel itself off.
Therefore, it was decided that contaminated products would be taken off supermarket shelves immediately, so as not to pose any danger to consumers.
The items, which were sold solely in the United States, are 14.2 ounce SpaghettiOs Original cans, with the expiration date of February 22, 2017, inscribed on the bottom of the metal container. They also have the UPC code of 51000 22432 written right below the bar code.
As health experts of the Food and Drug Administration insist, the products included in the recall shouldn’t be consumed.
Choking hazards are particularly elevated for toddlers and elderly people. Suffocation triggered by ingesting small objects by accident prevents oxygen from reaching the brain, causing brain damage in a matter of minutes. This can even prove lethal, if cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) isn’t performed immediately and effectively.
In fact, choking is the 4th most frequently encountered cause of unintentional death among kids under the age of 5, and for every such death there are around 100 emergency visits on a yearly basis.
Between 66 and 77 children younger than 10 die every year as a result of choking on food, while approximately 10,000 American kids under the age of 15 require emergency hospitalization following such incidents.
It must be noted however that most choking injuries are actually preventable, by keeping a close watch on children, especially during meals, and by ensuring that they are kept away from foods, toys or household items which might be hazardous.
Therefore, Campbell Soup Company representatives recommend that those who have purchased the products included in the recall should take them back to the store, in order to receive another item in exchange, or a full refund.
Those seeking further information regarding this incident are advised to call 1-866-535-3774, between 9:00 a.m. and 7 p.m. EST, from Monday to Friday or to visit the official Facebook page for SpaghettiOs.
Image Source: FDA