Carbon monoxide apparently makes four other victims this week in the USA. Four elderly people were found dead in their home in New York after probably having inhaled carbon monoxide. Although the cause of their death has not been officially established yet, CO poisoning is most likely to be the reason. A car in the home garage, which could be reached through a sloping drive way, was left running. It is believed to have led to the tragic deaths of the four people residing in the house on 86th Avenue in Floral Park, Queens.
A New York Police Supervisor, Robert Hugel, who has served the Technical Assistance and Response Unit for more than 30 years, came home to check on his parents on Friday afternoon, at 3 p.m.. He was unable to contact them earlier that day, so he decided to pay them a visit while he was off-duty. Both his parents and their visiting friend were deceased. Another tenant living upstairs was also found dead by the authorities. The victims were not taken to the hospital because they were not breathing anymore, which suggests it had been a while since they had died. However, it was hard to say how long they had been dead. The NYPD say the bodies showed no signs of trauma.
Murder and suicide have not yet been ruled out because investigations are ongoing but it is very unlikely that the cause of death is anything else than monoxide intoxication.
The couple were identified as Jerry Hugel, aged 83 and Marie Hugel, aged 80. They were of German origin and had been married for 60 years. They had five children together, including Robert, the NYPD sergeant. People who knew them regarded them as extremely dedicated to the community, very patriotic and loving parents. They owned the house in Queens. Jerry’s body was found next to the car, a Buick that was still running. Marie was lying on the kitchen floor.
The other two victims – their visiting friend, who was 76-years old and Gloria Greco, a 70-year old tenant were found dead in the living-room and upstairs, respectively.
Another tragic accident occurred earlier this week, also involving monoxide poisoning, when a mother and her six-year old daughter were found dead in their home in New Jersey. The cause was a generator that the family were using to heat up after having had their electricity cut.
Authorities use this occasion to underline the importance of carbon monoxide detectors in our homes. They are cheap, easy to install and can prevent such unfortunate events from happening.
Image Source: Nbcnewyork