Because every meal should be a surprise, we bring you the slightly odd case of a New Hampshire woman who found a 3-inch lizard in her lettuce pack. Following her culinary ordeal, the woman was rushed to the hospital, suspect of having ingested contaminated salad.
Critter Found in Lettuce Pack Was Californian Blue-Bellied Lizard
The victim of the recent food hijack is Michelle Carr, a young mother and aspiring nurse from Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Although everything ended well, Carr’s recent experience does raise a couple of food safety concerns.
As the woman recalls, she went to the supermarket in order to buy a pack of romaine lettuce. The nurse told the reporters that the salad was store-branded and that it wasn’t the first time she bought that particular brand.
After arriving home, the woman popped open the bag and emptied its contents into a bowl, without even looking at it. A couple of bites later, Carr’s fork became stuck in the salad. Thinking it might have been a chunk of salad, Carr lifted the fork only to find a 3-inch lizard at the end of it.
The nurse recalls that the last thing she did before checking herself into the hospital was vomiting. Concerned that she might have contracted harmful bacteria from the lizard-inhabited lettuce pack, the nurse went back to the hospital for tests.
Fortunately, everything was in order, but the New Hampshire woman will now think twice before buying a lettuce pack. As for the little solicitor, a biologist declared that the 3-inch critter was a Californian blue-bellied lizard.
Meanwhile, the supermarket was made aware of the incident and took the necessary precautions. During a public statement, a supermarket spokesperson declared that the supplier was notified of the incident and a that a Food and Drug Administration investigation will be carried out.
Image source: Wikipedia