A terrible accident happened at that killed almost all the fish in two large tanks. A spokesperson from the entertainment center talked to The Los Angeles Times, giving details about the hazard.
On Tuesday, it was reported that the mishap at the aquatic museum in Corpus Christi was caused by a new and stronger chemical inserted into the tanks’ water.
Richard E. Glover Jr., the spokesman, explained that this procedure was part of a sustained effort of getting rid of a nasty parasite that developed resistance to other treatments. The aquarium experienced significant damage as many fish died in this truly tragic event.
Just as Rob Vernon, press mediator at the Associations of Zoos and Aquariums had said in a statement, there are very extremely rare cases when such calamities bestow upon and kill so many specimens.
Glover stated that previous tests on a smaller number of fish were performed prior to introducing the medication in the larger tanks. Because no side effects could be observed, the caretakers agreed it was safer to introduce it in the bigger exhibit tanks.
Four tanks were affected and the number of fish that died was around 100. In accordance with the aquarium’s official web page, the most massive tank was home to “Islands of Steel”, a large display of exotic fish that usually form around oil platforms, creating a fascinating habitat resembling the ones found in the Gulf of Mexico.
Glover said the organisms that needed getting rid of were the trematoda parasite, and internal parasite that includes two categories of parasitic flatworms, also known as flukes.
Even though the aquarium’s spokesperson did not mention the nature of the chemical that caused the accident, there was another official statement that clarified that many other aquariums had used it as medicine in the past for similar problems, and without such adverse reactions.
Glover added that all hands were on deck the entire night with staffers trying to save as many specimens as possible. When they figured out what was wrong, water samples were collected and sent to labs for further testing.
According to a sympathizer of the Texas aquarium accident, this kind of complications still happen sometimes, even when all precautions are taken. Perry Hampton, second in command of the animal husbandry at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, explained that parasite infections in fish tanks are rather common, and treating them rarely presents a risk to the fish.
Image Source: Marocenv