A Walnut Grove resident spent three weeks connected to life-support machines after eating a serving of gas station nachos. Four more cases of botulism were tracked down to the same gas station, but none as severe as Lavinia Kelly who is still not out of the woods.
A Quick Snack Is Not Always a Good Idea
On April 21st, Kelly was heading home when she decided to stop at the Valley Oak Food and Fuel to grab a quick snack. After perusing the shelves, she decided on buying a bag of Doritos on which she poured some nacho cheese sauce. Then she went home.
The morning after the woman consumed the impromptu nachos, her health started deteriorating. At first, she started experiencing double vision. Her local hospital treated her symptoms superficially and sent her on her merry way.
A few hours later, she was obligated to seek additional medical help as she was vomiting uncontrollably and had problems breathing. That’s when doctors realized Kelly had botulism. The woman spent the following three weeks, including her 33rd anniversary, in intensive care.
What Is Botulism and How Do You Get It?
Botulism is a rare paralytic condition caused by the Clostridium botulinum bacteria – which is usually found in improperly stored or canned foods. Once the bacteria enter the system, it causes the release of a highly dangerous nerve toxin that lead to severe paralysis, and in some instances, even death.
Other symptoms include slurred speech, drooping eyelids, dry mouth, difficulty swallowing, and muscle weakness. Seeing as the bacteria usually acts fast, deteriorating the body at a rapid pace, doctors consider the condition a medical emergency.
The Authorities Are Investigating the Gas Station
Local authorities are investigating the Valley Oak Food and Fuel gas station where the woman bought the infected gas station nachos. At the moment three more cases were discovered with a fourth one under investigation. Kelly’s family already filed a lawsuit for breach of implied warranty, severe negligence, and product liability.
Image Source: Wikipedia